I'm just going to jump right into it otherwise I'm libel to get a little wordy over this project. Pictured here are blocks taken from a quilt that was given to my Great Grandmother on her 80th birthday. My aunt removed the blocks from the quilt and sent them to me so I could put them back together in a new way for my Granny's 80th birthday. The problem was apparent to me right away, when I remembered that my Granny's birthday was a mere 4 weeks away. Now before I continue on I would like to mention that the time constraint and ensuing stress were essentially all my own creation.
So I picked out some fabric and sashed the blocks as was originally requested. I had decided that the shape of the blocks really lent themselves best to a bed runner than anything, plus who really needs a quilt like this? Then I was struck with an epiphany so brilliant I blinded myself to the complexity and absolute sheer ridiculousness of tackling a project of this magnitude. So admidst massive renovation projects, two kids and all their activities, and the endless calls of a busy life, I decide to make these...
So what? Big deal it's not excessively complicated... That is if I were only making 18 identical blocks, but nooooo. I chose to make 18 completely different blocks, 9 inches square with the same overall theme. 18 blocks for all my Granny's special people. I was lucky enough to have acquired a book called 501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks by Judy Hopkins. This book made the whole thing possible giving different measurements for every usual block size. To save on your having to read an essay on the difficulty I had with this project lets just say that every block I created was both a huge accomplishment and a crushing defeat as I still had 'x' amount to go. In the end I did finish all the blocks.
Top row: Fireflies, An Original Design, The Chinese Block Quilt, Hovering Hawks, Sunshine, Summer Winds
Middle row: Grandmother's Favorite, Indian, Indian Plumes, Jacks Delight, Double X #4, Duck and Ducklings
Bottom row: Fox Paws, The Wedding Ring, Carol's Scrap Time Quilt, Cat's Cradle, Kansas Troubles, Winged Square
So I'm not gonna lie, I love it! I'm not really sure how big a bed runner should be but this one ended up being approximately 22" x 82". The points are not perfect but damn near.
Can you recall the original blocks I was supposed to use? Well I couldn't very well put that ugly (Orange? What was I thinking!) thing on the back of my new creation. So the ONLY option obviously (roll eyes) was to tear apart the the old bits again (which are getting quite worn I might add). I decided to only use the blocks pertaining directly to my Granny and send the rest off to her sister (my great aunt, only fair really). So now I have six of these blocks to work into the overall design... ding ding ding! Corduroy and horses of course! I cut the corduroy the right size used turned edge applique for the cream blocks (I'm down to 3 days at this point with quilting/binding/shipping still to go). Just because I have no time left and I love to push the envelope I also added some pretty cool applique horses to the back.
I quilted the runner with a stipple (originally I was going to use cross hatching but I decided there was enough squares here so a stipple wouldn't come amiss). Well that's all I'm going to type about this project. Note to self, corduroy sucks to quilt.
The runner arrived on time (barely), and Granny's 80th was celebrated with a great salmon dinner by my aunt, family, friends, and surprise guests.
|Granny and Granddad's Block|