Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Passing Days, and No Spring

 Where is Spring?

I've typed about 7 sentences to elaborate on my feelings towards Spring's lateness and the crushing desperation we all feel right now... But why type about such hopelessness.  I mean it's not like we are all going to go crazy and start splashing gasoline across the yard only to light it on fire to melt the snow... hmmmm, I mean crazy right.

Anyhow with that rant out of the way here is what I've been working on.  I finished the Tattoo quilt I was working on for a customer.  If you didn't see the post here is a link to the process I used to make it, Tattoo.  I really like how it turned out, simple and straight to the point.  I quilted it with Leah Day's dubbed sharp stippling.

Testing.  I picked the one on the left. 
Sharp stippling and I really didn't get along before this.  I had given it a try and just couldn't get the points right or figure out how I was to 'steer' around the quilt.  But I decided to give it another go and tada I got it!  I really like sharp stippling because it gives the same cuddly soft quality that stippling does but a more masculine look.

I delivered the quilt to my customer while at work at the pub the other evening and had to remind him a million times that it's a quilt not a blanket, hahaha.
This photo isn't depicting the colour of the quilt properly, but you get the idea. 


 I have also been working on more baby quilts.  Most recently I completed this puzzle quilt.  I think the fabrics I used are too busy but whatever lesson learned.  It was fun to make and super easy, I found the tutorial here.  I used two fat quarter packs from Wal-Mart and a 5 inch border, worked out to a perfect crib size quilt (but I can't remember the exact dimensions).
The label.


I have been doing a lot of crochet, mostly so I don't look out the window and see more depressing winter.  I made these cute sweaters for my girls.  They picked their own colours.  The pattern is called Crochet Girlie Hoodie by Red Heart.  I did have to change quite a bit on the sizing.  The largest size wouldn't fit my 7 year old in body length or arm length, which in all reality wasn't a difficult adjustment. 




I'm linking up with the lovely Canadian fiber crafters who are inspirational beyond belief over at the Needle and Thread Network.

8 comments:

  1. You've been a busy lady! Wow that tattoo quilt is beautiful! I like your sharp stippling too! Great job on thos sweaters and the baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Lorette. I totally understand why you love the De Deauville to Cape Cod blocks they are inspired.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for coming to visit my blog... I'm embroidering the last of the 3 recent blocks; I so totally enjoy adding the details! It brings them to life!

      Delete
  2. Your quilts are wonderful, Sam! And your girls look lovely in their new hoodies! We are supposed to get up to three feet of snow tomorrow and then the same again on Sunday. I may just be pulling out the gas and matches yet..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are you that your getting 3 feet of snow! Damn. My parents are in a snow belt in BC and boy do they have a pile too, but I don't think they are expecting more. Do I ever drool when I see all the great photos you have taken of those quilts. I don't think it will take much to get those ladies hooked on quilting. :)

      Delete
  3. The tattoo quilt is simply stunning. The sharp stippling really suited it. I love the puzzle pattern.....thanks for the link. The sweaters are gorgeous. The girls look absolutely adorable, in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea the gasoline in the yard (and I am not really kidding). Love everything about your Tattoo quilt, and the baby quilt is definitely not too busy. Nice picture of your daughters: crocheted sweaters, now there is proof of your patience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tattoo quilt is very striking! Great job. You have done some very creative things.
    And the girls hoodies are so cute...and of course so are the girls!
    Hang in there...spring cant be far away now....can it?????

    ReplyDelete