Thursday, November 29, 2012

Submission

So I decided to participate in a call for entry over at Sandra's Studio.  Basically we were to pick a mineral of Canada and adapt it into a quilted wall hanging.  I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post my submission to my blog, but I have been given the go ahead.  So here is what I created.

I was inspired by my new province of Saskatchewan, so the mineral I picked was Potash... Which I realized wasn't a proper mineral.  So during my research I realized that one type of Potash is Sylvite or K-Cl (potassium chloride).  Breaking down Sylivite we get Potassium (K).  Potassium is very important to the healthy growth and life cycle of plants.  Potassium helps plants by regulating gas exchange, helps grow stronger stalks and stems, assists plant metabolism, assists photosynthesis, and has been associated with resistance to disease.  So in tribute to the mineral Sylvite (Postash) I have incorporated the molecular structure of the mineral (top right of work) in tribute to the science behind our food.  Whew, alright enough with the chemistry/biology lesson.

 The technical points:

-raw edge applique
-wonder under stuff
-free motion quilted with simple micro stiple (I didn't want to obscure the background fabric)
-the word 'Sylvite' is stitched in the center of the piece (just through a normal piece of loose leaf paper)
-Approx. 28 inches square






So mystery revealed and onward to the next projects.  I have been working on some designs for a series of fun cute applique baby quilts (everyone loves cute animals).  I have an artist friend helping me with the basic sketches and I'm adapting them to fabric.    I have spent an appalling amount of time on the computer scanning/drawing my first design.  Ahahaha I feel a little like a mad scientist because 'It's ALIVE!'.  I've been constructing the first trial of my pattern and I must say I'm extremely happy with the results.  Obviously there are quite a few steps left in the pattern life cycle before I can reveal the outcome (I'm not entirely certain what they are... but it'll be fine).  I have one question to pose to the wonderful world of quilters who have read this far into my post; What is your favorite technique for applique?

I'm linking up to the Needle and Thread Network.  WhooHoo lets quilt the heck out of this winter!


9 comments:

  1. So creative! Thanks for explaining all that. The close ups are wonderful. I can't wait to see your pattern designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece of work Sam, I enjoy watching all your wonderful creations evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my second mystery with Bonnie and it is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for visiting.....I appreciate you commenting

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting theme for a quilt! I knew that potash is mined in Saskatchewan, but not that potassium is a part of it, although I take a potassium supplement to help keep my blood pressure healthy.
    Your quilt is not only visually very appealing, but also illustrates your chosen theme perfectly.
    As for your question: I mostly use satin stitch for appliqués, although I much prefer the look of a piece stitched with the blind-hem stitch. Unfortunately I am usually too lazy to turn under the edges of the appliqué pieces to use this method......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the movement your piece has and the colors too
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sam.....thank you so very much for you fantastic comment on the hand quilting. I really appreciate it.,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, look at you go! I did not know that about potash. I just remember having chunks of it passed around in elementary school, and everyone would take a lick because we were told it tastes just like salt. lol Kinda gross to think about my kids doing that today! lol

    Beautiful work Sam!!

    : )
    Monika in Saskatoon

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do such original work! I can't wait to see what you do next. This is truly inspired and beautiful!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete